Frekote FMS Mould Sealer (1ltr)
How To Order Our Products
- Fast Curing
- Seals “green” molds and repaired areas
- Eliminates porosity/micro-porosity
- High gloss finish
- Easy application
Loctite Frekote Mold Sealer (FMS) is formulated specifically as a sealer for fiberglass reinforced polyester, epoxy and other composite molds commonly used in the fiberglass molding
industry. This sealer must be used when using green or new molds as well as when sealing older molds with micro-porosity and other slight surface imperfections.
Seals “green” molds and repaired areas
High gloss finish
Appearance Clear liquid
Solvents Dibutyl Ether/Aliphatic Naphtha
Specific Gravity 0.762 +/- 0.015
Special Cautions Moisture sensitive, keep container tightly closed when not in use.
Application Temp 13ºC – 35ºC (55ºF -90ºF)
Shelf Life One year from date of manufacture
The mold surface must be dry, clean and free of any release agent or other contaminants for the sealer to be completely effective. Remove any contaminants with Frekote PMC or other
suitable cleaning solvents. Full curing of green/new molds is highly recommended to ensure optimal performance of the sealer. Always follow your tooling suppliers guidelines for
proper curing of new molds.
Application *Consult MSDS prior to use*
FMS should be applied at room temperature (less than 35ºC or 95ºF) by wiping on with a clean, lint-free, cotton cloth.
1. Soak cloth with FMS until it is wet, but not dripping. Wipe on a smooth, wet film over a 2′ x 2′ to 2′ x 3′ area of the
mold surface. Do not over apply.
2. Wait 15-20 seconds at 21ºC (70ºF) after application. Gently wipe dry starting from the outside of the wet area, and working inward with a second clean and dry, cotton cloth.
Note: Changes in temperature will affect solvent dry time. At temperatures below 18ºC (65ºF), waiting time between wiping on and drying off can be slightly longer than 20 seconds. At
higher then normal temperatures (greater then 35ºC or 95ºF) the wait time is significantly reduced and can be as quick as 1-2 seconds. In these conditions it is also advisable to reduce your wipe area to 1′ x 1′ in order to eliminate streaking due to the increased solvent evaporation and polymer cure times. A general guideline is to wait until the edges of the wiped area begins to creep inwards indicating that evaporation has just begun. Wipe from the outside and slowly work your way towards the center. Light hand pressure is all that is needed. No hard rubbing is required. Change cloth frequently to ensure proper drying of the mold. On small molds, allow up to 15 minutes between coats. If one coat takes more than 15 minutes, simply go back to starting point and begin to apply next coat.
3. Coat the entire mold surface overlapping the last area coated. Green molds will need a minimum of three coats and fully cured molds (not green) require 1-2 coats for proper sealing.
4. Once the final coat is applied, the coating should be cured at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
5. The mold must now be coated with the designated Frekote release agent.
For a gloss finish use Frekote SOLO, WOLO or FRPNC.
For a matte finish use Frekote 44-NC.
For a lay-up without gel coat, use Frekote 770-NC.
Refer to the appropriate technical data sheet for further instructions.
Frekote FMS contains flammable solvents. The product should”always be used in well-ventilated areas. Store in a cool, dry
place. Consult MSDS for complete details.